Monday, October 19, 2009

from soup to nuts

This blog is going to be all over the board so just hang on and try to stay focused! The craziness began this past Thursday. My good friend Susan was opening a new Target Interior Design Studio in Madison WI - and invited me and some other old KI croonies to partake in the festivities.


This is Peggy and Kevin and Susan - all KI alumni - from many moons ago. Don't they look marvelous??


Susan drove in from Minneapolis and was then staying in WI for the weekend. On Thursday, the plan was set that after the opening celebration, Susan and I would then journey to our good friend Peggy's home and ransack her wine cellar and crash on her sofa. Well, there you have it - that is just what we did.


Susan and I waiting to get the WINE FLU shot, as Peggy so eloquently termed it.

I believe we started drinking the fruit of the vine around 3:30 pm on Thursday and by 1 am, I knew I had lost the battle and succumbed to sleep. Peggy and Sue continued on - they are wine goddesses - I am but a mere mortal. And let me tell you, I felt less than mortal on Friday. I used to drink wine - I like wine - it tasted so good on Thursday, I guess I forgot how BAD wine hangovers are. This was just one of those 'man, I feel like a truck hit me' hangovers. Tired. DTs. I just remember that the three of us - Sue, Peggy and I - would get up and then lay back down again throughout Peggy's house. Get up. Lay down. Take a shower. Lay down. Talk. Lay down. Walk it off. Lay down. You get the picture.

Finally, Peggy needed to work (she was going to put her headset on and then lay in bed and take calls as they came in - HAHAHA!) and Sue and I continued on our way. Over to my sister's home in Madison. Barb had fresh coffee and bagels for us - ahhhhhh!! Nirvana. Is there anything better than coffee and some starchy piece of dough when you feel like you were hit with the 'WINE FLU?' Really? I think not. So, Sue and I sat there with Barb and Ben and drank coffee and ate and tried to talk intelligently. By 11, it was time to head back to Pickett. The 'plan' had been to journey to Milwaukee to rendevous with some high school girfriends for lunch but both Sue and I knew that we needed a NAP and fast because this weekend was packed full. So, we high-tailed it north to Pickett. It was the longest drive of my life. Or so it felt. When we arrived at the homestead, we both promptly crashed. I awoke to dog kisses and butt breath - not from Sue, from Sadie and Sophie. Obviously, they were sick and tired of my shenanigans and wanted attention. That's ok because as the day went on, I was feeling better. As was Sue. New life - a rebirth had occured. And, just in time, as it was time to go out for a good, old fashioned Wisconsin fish fry as Sue had requested.

So, off to Jasper's in Pickett we went. I wasn't sure I could get back on the 'horse' so soon, but decided that a wussy drink like Malibu and coke wouldn't be so bad. So, Sue and Kevin and I got back on the wagon for the night. Now Sue and Kevin, well, they decided to go for the gusto. I know that Susan had enough Old Fashioneds to quench the thirst of a small city. And Kevin, I know was drinking his share of Captain and Cokes as well. I was not going to follow their lead. No thank you! But I gotta tell you, a fried perch dinner is heaven when you're getting over the WINE FLU. I can't recommend it enough. I know - I also fell off my 'I don't eat anything with eyes' edict, but I was 'ill' and I needed to feel better for the rest of the weekend. I will repent this week.


I guess brandy old fashioned sours ARE lip smacking good. Especially after five of them.

Onto Saturday, after a great walk in the Pickett countryside, our friend Brenda arrived for another day of merriment. I have wanted to see a psychic for a while now and finally found someone I thought would be a fit - and a local to boot! Brenda and Susan both wanted to get a reading as well, so why not book them one after the other and then compare notes? I had my appointment on Thursday and Sue and Brenda were scheduled for Saturday. I am going to backtrack - I saw a psychic in the early/mid 90s. Loved this woman. She was a total riot. Took it for entertainment value, but she did hit some pretty interesting bull-eyes for me. Anyhow, she died and I never found anyone that I thought could match how she worked. As Sue put it last week, 'sometimes you just have try these people on...like shoes.' Ok, game on!

After the appointments, we all went to Fratello's to compare notes. Here is the gist of it. For Susan, she needs to go 'shopping for many men in the coming months and try them all out.' Fair enough. For Brenda, 'don't sign any contracts for the next six months and enjoy the creativity that is coming your way.' Good stuff. For me, 'I need to be more gentle and vulnerable and embrace my femininity.' You're kidding, right? That's what I get? What a sham! Hogwash. I just don't buy it! So, it was again, worth the price of admission. I'll consult my crazy 8 ball next time, thank you!

After lunch and drinks, off to get Sue outfitted for the BIG GAME on Sunday. Sue didn't have any Packer attire and well, if you don't look like a Packer elf puked on you, then you ain't going to the game with me! After a major investment in green and gold and a stop at the grocery store for tailgating supplies, we headed to our local pub, Jim's County Line to end the day with a cocktail. After a quick bloody mary with an order of smoke on the side, it was time to get home and start prepping for Sunday and our pilgrimmage to, you know where, Lambeau Field! And a date with 70,000 of our closest friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment