Monday, October 19, 2009

Mrs. Rodgers and 292 photos

292 photos – yes, you read correctly. There were 292 photos taken on Sunday from 8 am until 4:39 with my camera. Is that even humanly possible? And after reviewing this fine collection, I can say that maybe this camera should be put away for a while. Oh, who am I kidding – I’m not going to do that. That would not be fun and we know that is the name of the game – especially on a Packer Sunday.

So the story begins as Sue and I take off from Pickett in the mustang at 8:15 am. Let’s cram as much as humanly possible into a Mustang convertible and use it as a tailgate device, shall we? I was a little put off because I then realized we wouldn’t even be arriving in GB until closer to 9:30 and then that only leaves 2+ hours to tailgate. Have I lost my tailgate edge, I pondered? What time did we start these events last year? I guess I was a little rusty (as this was the first tailgate of the season) so we decided we needed to beat cheeks and get there pronto. We pulled into the lot at 9:18 exactly. Whew! You’d hate to miss a minute of pre-game cocktailing, don’t you know?

As we get to the lot, I am being told by the parking attendant to go to the back of the lot. Well, I tell him, I just talked to your son Matt and he told me I could park at the front of the lot – closest to the stadium. He tells me no, that is reserved for handicapped people – you need to go to the back. Hmmm? I pull in and Matt sees us and flags us over to where I wanted to park in the first place. Once my keys are out of the ignition, I am not moving. Especially when you pay $40 to park in the first place – everyone in that lot should park wherever they darn well please, if you ask me. I am happy – I am in my favorite spot!

Anyhow, we’re parked – we take down the top and begin to unload and fire up a bloody. Brenda and her dad, Norman and sister Lisa and good friend Patty arrive and so the party begins. It is pretty quiet in this lot – because they won’t let anyone else park near us (on purpose, I have no idea), but after a bloody mary and a beer and then some music, well, it just unfolds and unfolds FAST. That always seems to happen at a GBP game. I think I like to believe we EASE into it but then it is like an avalanche hits at 10:45 am. I’m pretty sure that is the bewitching hour (or the time the cocktails kick in??).

Now Sunday was the Packers Women’s Association Food Drive. All the GBP wives were stationed around the stadium asking for monetary donations or food donations for local food pantries. Well, I decided that I was going to be MRS. RODGERS for the day and help at one of these stations. What does he think this is, a bakery?

So Susan adjusted my jersey so everyone knew I was Aaron’s WIFE (not mother, got it – wife). Let’s face it, I never made it to any of these food stations but the comments I received throughout the day, well, were priceless. I can’t mention some of them because, well, they just weren’t too nice either. But I have thick skin and I can take it so it was worth it. As you might guess, there were lots of other girls who thought they were Mrs. Rodgers – silly girls! Ha! Do not fear – I set them straight!
Hey, times are tough - I can't spring for a new custom jersey yet until I know if this marriage is going to work out.

Back to the party, Tim and Kim arrive and Kim lets it be known, “I do not want to see any photos of me with my tongue out or doing stupid stuff. I mean it.” That’s like me talking to Sadie or Sophie – blah, blah, blah is all they hear. Of course I won't take any photos of you doing stuff you will regret in the am.

Now really, I don’t make anyone do anything they don’t want to do in front of the camera. You can blame it on the Sambuca shots or the magnetic draw of Lambeau or being caught up in the moment, but don’t blame it on me. Karen and Dean arrive. Teri and her son, Jessie. Mike and Susie. And on and on and on. The music gets louder. The lucky Sambuca shots get lined up. Drinks are spilled. Food is tipped over. Intelligent conversation goes by the wayside. People start doing really goofy stuff and I capture it on film. Ahhhh, see some things never change.
This kinda reminds me of the clown car at the circus...

Thank goodness for Kim and Karen. Seriously. They always are watching the clock and know when to tell me to start packing up – but the best part is that they DO IT. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure I would still be in that parking lot at halftime. There is a rhyme and reason when I pack up before a tailgate – there is NO rhyme or reason at 11:30 am. I’m amazed I didn’t lose car keys; money; ticket. I’m amazed the battery didn’t croak (ok, a convertible is AWESOME because you can crank the music REALLY loud and everyone around you gets to enjoy it – as Kevin said ‘you are a juke box on wheels’ with the Mustang – and then everyone dances – that baby is going to the Viking game – it is!!). I’m amazed everything fit back in the convertible and I’m even more amazed the top was able to go up. I do think God loves the Packers and Packer fans – in fact, I’m sure of it.
The 'juke box on wheels' was kickin out some tasty tunes from the Black Eyed Peas and Brenda and Karen and Kim were diggin it!

So, by the time we are ready to go, we decide we just might as well wait for the flyover and watch it outside (I know – same crap; different day). By then, Susan has accosted every police officer and fireman we come upon. It is time to get into the stadium, darn it! Can I just say that these guys aren't even COPS and Sue is trying to get frisked by them...and they obliged.

After another 15 minutes, we finally get to our seats – we have missed the first two scores. This is Norman and Lisa - I'm sure they will never sit with Susan, or I, ever again.

Go figure, huh? The shenanigans continue. I get a few pictures of my ‘husband’ for the day and fend off more comments as he continues to get sacked religiously (what is with that – really?). I tell people I will go and talk to him at halftime and get it all taken care of.

Speaking of halftime, as is custom, off to the Leinie Lodge we went.
I would like to preface this whole blog by saying that I drink prior to the game and then stop (ok, I had one beer in the game) as I need to get my cargo back home in one piece. My cargo, on the other hand, did NOT stop drinking at all during the game. While in the ‘lodge,’ I saw my husband for the day there. WHAT THE? Perhaps if he’d stop hanging around these loose women and play some football, he wouldn’t be getting sacked day in and day out? We obviously need to talk. Really though, doesn’t this guy look like Aaron? I have like 20 other photos of him from different angles - we had to be sure!
Really, he looks like #12 - he does.

The second half begins and I want to go back in the stadium (did I tell you I wore shorts for the game? Oh yeah!!). Susan did not want to go back so I told her, ‘use your ticket to get back to the seats.’ Well, Susan did not appear until 4 minutes left in the game. She had no cell phone either so calling would have been fruitless. Now, I love a good laugh and this could not have played out more perfect. We watched her walk up the steps and then try to figure out where we were and what seat she should be in. She made it to the correct row, but then she went down the other section and kept walking. By now, people within three rows of me are laughing as hard as I am (and I am capturing it all on film) and finally I ask if someone would care to go and retrieve her. “Nick Barnett” steps up and fetches her and brings her back to us. Below are some of the shots of it all unfolding. I still laugh out loud when I see these and think about it. Yes, I am a nice friend, I know.






Check this dandy shot out - two young lovers find each other at Lambeau Field. I love the lighting. Is this catalog material or what?

The game ends! A shut-out! Wooo woooo! Time to go and yes, it takes us a LONG time to get back to our car. Lots of fun people in the crowd and this girl and I got into a bit of a tangle because she said SHE was Mrs. Rodgers. Well, we bickered and fought for a while, but then made up. See below.
It was either we made up or there would have been hair pulling and kicking and scratching. This is nicer - the new me!

Then I went off and talked to her real boyfriend while she was trying to get Sue to rent said boyfriend for a night of crazy adult behavior. I only caught bits and pieces of this conversation and I’m kinda sad I didn’t listen closer because this could have been the book idea I’m looking to write. Drat! Sue doesn’t remember much of the conversation either. I know what section and row these kids sit in so I will go back and find them for the Viking game. Maybe we’ll make out again?

See, you can be friends with anyone and everyone when you're at Lambeau Field.

At last, back to the car! And the natives are restless! People were getting ready to kick in the windows to get food and beverages (like they needed anymore as it is). Out comes the cooler and more food and more laughter and frivolity. By now, I am pretty sober, but enjoying the childishness around me. Brenda then asks if I’d like to leg wrestle. Bring it on, baby! There’s nothing sexier than middle aged cougars leg wrestling in the middle of a parking lot after a Packer game, right? I limbered up the best I could and then went to the task at hand. That Race Around the Lake has paid off – I BEAT BRENDA! Wooo woooo!!! Finally! See photos below.
Here, I am just coming out of a tripod - I was ready to go into a headstand and I saw TIM running up behind me. I got out of that vulnerable position FAST! Impressive, huh?

More limbering up for the big match. Equally as impressive, I know.
And here it is - I won. But look, she is lifting her body off the ground - that is illegal, I am sure of it.

But then, she went and beat me in the second match. Boooo! I do think she cheated and did not lay flat on the ground AGAIN. Kim, you need to referee a little better next time, got it? After me, Susan wanted a piece of Brenda and then Lisa wanted a piece of Susan – it was chaos. And extremely funny.
Ok, this referee needs to stop being bought off like the NFL refs. Have some integrity, Kim!

I don't think there is much wrestling going on here at all - it looks more like a slumber party.

Then there was a whole lot of monkey-piling and hugging and leg rubbing and other stuff I can’t describe here. Seriously, who couldn’t use an afternoon at Lambeau Field – with or without tickets to the game? It is good clean fun for adults. My stomach still hurts from laughing and that, my friends, is when you know you had a GREAT time.
Here, Brenda is honing in on Sue's hot spot.
I told you - Sue was not pleased and let it be known that Brenda was not to be hanging around Tim.

Finally (or at last?0, the camera battery died at 4:39 pm and it was time to shut this baby down once and for all. I poured Sue into the Mustang and we made our way back to Pickett.

You know what is next - the last triathlon of the season for me!! And this is definitely considered one of those EXTREME endurance races - a three DAYer - do I have it in me? Folks, these marathon events are not to be taken lightly - you could end up in the hospital or worse. You're probably wondering, 'wow, what is this race - have I heard of it?' Well, it's a little event I have concocted with a few of my friends and family. Not for the faint of heart! Are you ready? Here is the rundown...Badger hockey on 10/30; Badger football on 10/31 (and Halloween in Madison) and Packer/ViQueen football on 11/1. Where are my GU packets? I need to start carbo loading now!! I told you it was extreme.

PS - I am going to put up more photos from Sunday - but not all 292 of them. Remember, I'm new to this blog thing and it is a total pain in the rump to figure out. But I will get more up here...I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment